Did you know that all full-time Active and Moving & Storage and Trade Show members have a life insurance benefit of $50,000 and that you can call Charlestown Member Services anytime to update your beneficiary?
Prior Authorization Required for Genetic Testing in 2019
Effective January 1, 2019, Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA will require Prior Authorization before covering certain genetic tests. Prior Authorization helps ensure you receive services that are clinically appropriate and medically necessary. The following genetic tests will require Prior Authorization:
- DNA testing of hereditary heart disease risks
- DNA testing of hereditary cancer risks
- Testing to detect changes in DNA which may indicate a specific disease or condition
- Testing to help select proper medication and dosing regimens
- Prenatal screening and diagnosis of specific conditions
- DNA testing of tumor cells
- DNA sequencing to understand a current health or medical issue
Doctors who request Prior Authorization for these services may also suggest genetic counseling to help better understand the procedure and its results.