TeamstersCare 25 TeamstersCare 25

Select Language:


You are eligible to join the Retiree Prescription Drug Program as of the first day of the month of your 65th birthday, or as of the last day of your active coverage, provided you are age 65 or older and have met all of the eligibility requirements.

If you intend to enroll in the Prescription Drug Program, (either immediately or on a deferred basis) you must provide Charlestown Member Services with written notification within 30 days of becoming first eligible to enroll in the program. If you do not notify Member Services, you will not be eligible to enroll at a later date.

Deferred Enrollment

In most cases, you’ll likely choose to join the Prescription Drug Program as soon as you become eligible. However, if you’re covered under another group health plan at the time of your eligibility, you can defer joining the program if you meet the following conditions:

  • You have other group health coverage, such as an employer-sponsored plan or COBRA at the time TeamstersCare offers you retiree coverage AND
  • You provide written notification (“deferral”) to TeamstersCare explaining that this other coverage is the reason you’re declining enrollment


  • You must become ineligible for your other health coverage OR
  • Your COBRA coverage must end

To request special enrollment into the Retiree Prescription Drug Program, you must submit your request within 30 days of losing your coverage under your other plan, along with proof that your coverage has ended. Provided you are otherwise eligible for TeamstersCare benefits, your coverage will begin no later than the first day of the month following the receipt of your application.

Enrolling Dependents

Coverage for a spouse under the TeamstersCare Retiree Prescription Drug Program begins on the first day of the month he/she reaches age 65. If you marry while enrolled in the Prescription Drug Program, you may be able to enroll your spouse (age 65 or older), provided you request enrollment within 30 days of your marriage. A copy of your marriage certificate is also required.